Call to Action – What you can do
- Find out as much as possible about the issue.
- Talk about euthanasia with your family and friends.
- Discuss the issue in the workplace and in other groups you are involved in.
- Write a personalised letter to your local Member of Parliament using your own words and selecting 3 or 4 arguments. Avoid the use of form letters.
- Visit your Member of Parliament to express your view – stick to the issue and do not mix it up with other issues.
How to write to your MP:
- Make sure you have the MP’s name and title correct and address him/her accordingly (Titles of MPs are available on the parliamentary website)
(See:Members of Parliament)
- Introduce your topic: Re: …………. so the recipient knows what you are writing about.
- Introduce yourself and your interest in the topic.
- Avoid religious or moralistic language. Be factual.
- Make your points as succinctly as possible – keep to one page or less.
- If you are quoting from documents or Bills etc., include references
- Be polite – even if you feel very strongly on the issue. Abuse is not acceptable.
- Sign the letter.
- You are able to write to any MP free of charge at:
Private Bag 18-888